CAE Oxford Melbourne Cessna 172S stencil?

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

CAE Oxford Melbourne Cessna 172S stencil?

Postby DDGboy » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:52 am

Morning all, whipping up some decals in 1/48 for VH-EWX (in the earlier scheme with swoopy lines on fuse and dorsal fin) and stumped on this stencil behind the door -

https://ibb.co/gVyKchV

Red box with text, the top line says "Warning", but can't make out the two lines of text below and no pics are clear enough. Emergency exit? Ensure handle locked? Has anyone been close enough to one to see/know?

Probably won't be legible anyway, even in 1/48, but when has that stopped a modeller losing sleep - I was making the "Static air - keep clean" stencil at 5am this morning! ;0

https://www.grubbyfingersshop.com/image ... -print.jpg

TIA, Jamie
DDGboy

Re: CAE Oxford Melbourne Cessna 172S stencil?

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:20 pm

If I'd have known earlier in the day, I could've formated on one that was doing circuits at Leongatha. On second thought, he would've had to come down into the weeds while I was doing my low level rating...

I'll check it out for you next time I'm at Moorabbin..
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby scotty100368 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:03 am

Joke answers first:

WARNING
PILOT MAY THINK
HE IS GOD

WARNING
CHECK PARACHUTE
BEFORE ENTRY

WARNING
LAST CHANCE TO
CHANGE YOUR MIND

But considering the portside flap is right above, it's probably something like:

WARNING
BEWARE OF MOVING
SURFACE OVERHEAD

Cheers!
Scott Garard
former QF ramper (Thanks alot AJ!)
now Aust Post van driver
scotty100368

Postby RayS » Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:29 pm

I just had a look at Flickr and searched a few different CAE regos. Some images are very hi-res

This one is downloadable and shows the placard fairly well on VH-EOT when you zoom the image

I read it as

WARNING
AIRCRAFT SECURITY
DEVICE INSTALLED

Here is another of VH-CNW which looks like

WARNING
AIRCRAFT INSTALLED
SECURITY DEVICE
Ray

RayS

Postby hrtpaul » Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:54 pm

It's the security one. They don't warn you about the flaps. If you need that warning then maybe you shouldn't be out in public let alone near a plane :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby DDGboy » Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:14 pm

RayS wrote:I just had a look at Flickr and searched a few different CAE regos. Some images are very hi-res

This one is downloadable and shows the placard fairly well on VH-EOT when you zoom the image

I read it as

WARNING
AIRCRAFT SECURITY
DEVICE INSTALLED

Here is another of VH-CNW which looks like

WARNING
AIRCRAFT INSTALLED
SECURITY DEVICE

Thanks heaps Ray, perfect, great look at some of the other stenciling too. Says a LOT about our "modern" society that winged things need security installed...
DDGboy

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:52 pm

DDGboy wrote:Thanks heaps Ray, perfect, great look at some of the other stenciling too. Says a LOT about our "modern" society that winged things need security installed...

The security devices installed on aircraft are only at the major airports such as Moorabbin. Smaller airports have no such thing unless an individual wants to have one. It was legislated after someone pinched a light twin from Moorabbin many many moons ago...and, of course, it was a knee-jerk reaction by the government of the day.
Same thing with a useless plastic card called an ASIC. A knee-jerk reaction to the events known as 9-11, and as useless a piece of plastic as you've ever seen. In the 15 years I've held one, I've never been asked to present it at *any* airport I've ever been to. Some bright spark decided that it was a good thing to make anyone involved in aviation to pay $200+ every two years, go through a police check to prove they're good little boys and girls, and be issued with a government ID card that can't actually be used as ID.
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby hrtpaul » Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:51 am

Cap'n Wannabe wrote:
DDGboy wrote:Thanks heaps Ray, perfect, great look at some of the other stenciling too. Says a LOT about our "modern" society that winged things need security installed...

The security devices installed on aircraft are only at the major airports such as Moorabbin. Smaller airports have no such thing unless an individual wants to have one. It was legislated after someone pinched a light twin from Moorabbin many many moons ago...and, of course, it was a knee-jerk reaction by the government of the day.
Same thing with a useless plastic card called an ASIC. A knee-jerk reaction to the events known as 9-11, and as useless a piece of plastic as you've ever seen. In the 15 years I've held one, I've never been asked to present it at *any* airport I've ever been to. Some bright spark decided that it was a good thing to make anyone involved in aviation to pay $200+ every two years, go through a police check to prove they're good little boys and girls, and be issued with a government ID card that can't actually be used as ID.

If you work on a major airport, even Essendon, that has RPT traffic I guarantee you'll be asked to present it every single time. At all the major airports I've worked on, the safety officers were red hot on it. Been there, done that, got the tshirt :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Return to Model Talk