What drives us to build what we build ?

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

What drives us to build what we build ?

Postby Knotty » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:52 pm

Just wondering what it is that drives us to build what we build .

For me it is Aircraft that I have refuelled over the years ( and there has been many :o :o ) to aircraft I have flown on ,photographed , been inside to have a look around on or ........I just like the look of it . I like hard working aircraft ......fire bombers , freighters , airliners , float planes . This can lead to a lot of models covering a lot of different subjects :shock: :shock:

So come on you blokes ........let's have it !!!
Last edited by Knotty on Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knotty

Re: What drives us to build what we build ?

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:13 pm

Two things for me.....either a pretty paint job, or something i'm a better than even chance of driving. Oh, and also stuff that's hard to get, 'cos I'm difficult that way....ok, so that's three..
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby VH-WAL » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:23 pm

Good question with a multi part answer but I'll keep it brief.
I took this hobby back up again after a long hiatus about 11 years ago. I resumed where I left off several times , many years before, building war planes, props mostly but a few jets as well. I got kicked off track when I wanted to build the Grumman Albatross I few into Sydney Harbour in at the end of the London to Sydney Air Race, I had to modify the Monogram 1/72 jobbie to the Short Wing original version.. and I discovered I had fun doing the conversion work, but continued doing the "mainstream" 109s, zeros, P-47 etc etc etc in various scales. But then a couple of years later after grabbing hold of a Monogram C-47 from Bruce Anders I wanted to model a PNGDF version that I had many control dealings with in my time at Lae, That was my first foray into decal design and printing...that was it, the gate opened, the horse bolted and I started modelling aircraft I had controlled / touched, saw or just liked for whatever reason, mostly they have to be colourful and non mainstream ie stuff no-one else had done. There are some exceptions, I did a few aircraft of historical significance that were reasonably boring in markings
VH-WAL

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:22 pm

I like war and I like bad guys. Post 1945 use of WW2 equipment is an interest because so much of it was used for so long in the formation of the world as we know it. Captured aircraft because it's different and I also like destroyers, cruisers, aircraft carriers and submarines because they were the main ships that bore the brunt of the war at sea.
_BlackHawk_

Postby Graeme H » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:45 am

Same as others, I just want to build ones I have flown, flown on, or just like, significant warplanes etc.
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby hrtpaul » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:02 am

I prefer warplanes but I do like the civvy stuff too. I just build what appeals to me, pretty colours and stuff that bastards give me endless ideas for (Yes I'm looking at you lot) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:35 am

_BlackHawk_

Postby hrtpaul » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:48 am

I'm not looking at it. I'm not looking at it. Oh wow they're cool :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:19 am

There's another 20 kits for the stash right there!
_BlackHawk_

Postby hrtpaul » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:24 pm

NO THERE'S BLOODY NOT BRAD. GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BTW I'm telling Di on you :P
hrtpaul

Next

Return to Model Talk