What drives us to build what we build ?

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

Re: What drives us to build what we build ?

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:39 pm

Good question. I guess as a kid, it was whatever I thought looked cool. These days I need to be inspired by either the aeroplane's history/performance or the story of the pilot. I often spend more on the books/reference material than the model itself - guessing I'm not alone in this. You guys aren't helping me with inspiration (as in I'm getting too damn much inspiration at present!) - my kit buying is outstripping my model production rate and has for some time :roll: I just need to increase build rate and reduce buying rate and all will be good!

Main topics of interest for future builds are:

Late WW2 Luftwaffe - mainly Fw-190, Me-163, Me-262, Ta-152
X-Planes - must build a X-15 sometime - love the "Bull".
Aerobatic aeroplanes - anything I've flown, or had a ride in, or wish to in the future, or just delighted in watching at a air show.
Racers - just cause they're kick ass! I'd like to build some of the historic racers and record breakers as well.
1/32 Fast Jets - Su-27, E.E Lightning, BAE Hawk-127, F-8, F-4C

That list above represents the next 20 year build plan - not in any specific order.
Adam the Akrodude

Postby tor lives » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:42 pm

Good thread Knotty...so here goes.
I have several themes that I build too, some of which are to be expected given my background, and others because I just find the subject matter really interesting. These themes are:
*Government / Military Airliners (including all variants and derivatives)
*Qantas Group (including all past/present subsidiaries)
*Big Jet / Big Prop Movie Stars (you can perhaps now see why next year's A/CAM display theme is a favourite with me)
*Air Racers, (my latest aerosexual area of absolute fascination and awe)
I also have a hankering for refurbishing bashed, bruised, and banged-up little old childhood kits that I have horded and never thrown out.
TOR
tor lives

Postby VH-WAL » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:54 pm

TOR do you have a Qantas Lancastrian in the works or done?
VH-WAL

Postby tor lives » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:18 pm

VH-WAL wrote:TOR do you have a Qantas Lancastrian in the works or done?

G'day Wal,
Yeah....the plan is to finish this refurb 1:144th Lancaster as a Qantas Lancastrian, (note the Miliput "new" nose and tail).
Decals for this refurb courtesy of Hawkeye

I also have an A Model 1:144th Qantas Lancastrian and a Airfix/Magna Model 1:72 Lancastrian conversion sitting in the stash waiting to be built at some stage in the next millennium or two.
TOR
tor lives

Postby VH-WAL » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:48 pm

Right, it's just that I saw a resin Lancastrian nose and tail conversion set in 1/72, thought you mighta wanted it.. I thought about it but a Lancastrian would be about #410 in my build list
VH-WAL

Postby AndrewDoppel » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:21 pm

For me, my affliction? is for RAAF aircraft, particularly those that I've seen, touched or are of significant historical interest or just bizarre circumstance. Have done so since about 1982 when I was a RAAF AIRTC cadet.

I like building models of Mirages particularly the IIIO & IIID mainly because I have the instrument panel from A3-105. My CT4 is of A19-041 which I flew in 1985, A23-032 'Middleton VC' PC-9, as my son got to climb on it etc, etc.

Also, I like Jolly Rogers USN aircraft to help my son's collection out and the odd WIF? Am also dare I say it getting a liking for building 1/72 airliners.

I'm trying to get into cars as well particularly old Chevs.....I might have a crack at a modern Camaro one day though.
Regards

Andrew Doppel
AndrewDoppel

Postby tor lives » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:33 pm

AndrewDoppel wrote:I might have a crack at a modern Camaro one day though.

Hell yeah!!!.....my next car, (with a Holden badge :D )

but this is a close as I have gotten so far:

TOR
tor lives

Postby AndrewDoppel » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:38 pm

Have a look at the new 2013/14 version on Hawaii 5-0 when you can Ray....horny beast with slatted hood.
Regards

Andrew Doppel
AndrewDoppel

Postby Night-Raptor » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:27 pm

Why do I build what I build? Errrr - because everything looks good in Tiger Stripes.

Of course I dont just build Tigermeet - I build whatever takes my fancy, generally the uglier the better in the case of Military. I do like my Gerry Anderson inspired stuff, and Sci-Fi models from shows I really enjoy.
Night Raptor
Because after dark - everything looks good with Tiger Stripes.....
Night-Raptor

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:28 pm

AndrewDoppel wrote:I like building models of Mirages particularly the IIIO & IIID mainly because I have the instrument panel from A3-105.

You love the Mirage so much mate, I'm surprised you didn't name your kids Delta and Marcel. :D
_BlackHawk_

PreviousNext

Return to Model Talk