In case anyone is interested

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

Re: In case anyone is interested

Postby tor lives » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:20 pm

hrtpaul wrote:I hope for the sake of the guys on the ground, they don't delete the gun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxvmrmLYbls

I just love the ol A-10!!! but alas she has had her day as well I am afraid. I am not even sure there will be "guys on the ground" in the future.
TOR
tor lives

Postby hrtpaul » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:24 pm

I reckon the guys on the ground would have a very different view of that. Maybe in 50 years there won't be bods on the ground but until then they'll still need CAS and no aircraft including the shitbox F-35 can do what an A-10 can do :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby tor lives » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:27 pm

hrtpaul wrote:I reckon the guys on the ground would have a very different view of that.

I reckon you would be right....but that's no different than fighter pilots saying there will always be a need for fighter pilots, it's called "offended denial".
TOR
tor lives

Postby hrtpaul » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:29 pm

There'll always be fighter pilots. They might not always be in the cockpit but you'll still need someone to operate them.
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby tor lives » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:30 pm

hrtpaul wrote: no aircraft including the shitbox F-35 can do what an A-10 can do :)

Absolutely agree....but in the future no aircraft will need to do what the A-10 does now. Warfare is changing, this is why the A-10 is being slatted for retirement, (although it's ruskie equivalent the SU-25 may kick around for a little longer).
TOR
tor lives

Postby tor lives » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:32 pm

hrtpaul wrote:There'll always be fighter pilots. They might not always be in the cockpit but you'll still need someone to operate them.

Yep.....they will be sitting in an air-conditioned van in Florida, drinking a can of coke. And they will be called
"Air Superiority/Dominance Facilitators". They will remotely shoot-down other UAVs (with missiles not guns), get medals for doing so, and be home in time for dinner.....that's the future of air warfare....sterile, clinical, remote, and impersonal; :D .
TOR
tor lives

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:33 pm

With respect Brad, I just believe your opinion is a little last century. Weapons evolve. The long bow was a cracking piece of kit until the musket came along. :D
Plenty of money is going into UCAV's, hypersonic weapons and lasers, not manned aircraft at all. Look at what the "SR-72" employing hypersonic precision weapons will be capable of - unstoppable global strike.
The trial of the X-47B was fascinating. There's some fascinating stuff on US Army lasers -technology getting smaller and more powerful. The F-35 is touted as potentially fielding a laser, it having a very powerful generator onboard.
I believe we are in the twilight of the manned fighter. UCAV's will get more and more work, with the F-35 getting more a supervisory role for these drones, like a airborne battlespace manager - point, click, kaboom! Each 35 could manage say 3-4 UCAV's perhaps? I'm projecting into the next 15-20 years.
Set Lasers on kill! Beam me up Scotty!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby hrtpaul » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:41 pm

tor lives wrote:
Absolutely agree....but in the future no aircraft will need to do what the A-10 does now. Warfare is changing, this is why the A-10 is being slatted for retirement,
TOR

Might wanna make sure the likes of the Taliban etc get that memo then cos otherwise there's gonna be some seriously embarrassed individuals(and pissed off grunts) if and when they need CAS and there's no A-10 type aircraft to the rescue. Last time someone said that they didn't need a gun they were badly, BADLY wrong. Just sayin...... Last century or not, that's just how it is. Everyone carries on about stealth this and stealth that. Big friggen deal. As has been shown in past history, when someone makes an advance, the bad guy finds a way around it.
hrtpaul

Postby tor lives » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:47 pm

hrtpaul wrote:Might wanna make sure the likes of the Taliban etc get that memo

Well.....they seem to have won the war despite jets with big guns, as did the VC in Vietnam :?
Besides....if the A-10s couldn't stop the zombie hoards in World War Z what's the good of em :D
TOR
tor lives

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:51 pm

I'll definitely take you up on your kind offer, Ray.....as soon as I can figure out a way to convince you to part with the kit! :lol:
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

PreviousNext

Return to Model Talk