After-market vac-form canopies

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

After-market vac-form canopies

Postby tor lives » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:09 pm

Hi guys,
Just looking for some advice....I have had to purchase some after-market vac-form canopies to replace some glue-damaged originals on a couple of my refrub projects. What is the best way to manage/size/cut-out these bloody things because, so far, I have already destroyed two of them in attempting to do so :? . What's the secret???
Thanks in advance.
TOR
tor lives

Re: After-market vac-form canopies

Postby hrtpaul » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:55 pm

I think peeps use very sharp and possibly curved nail scissors. I haven't used a vac-form canopy as yet but I do have a few so I'll be watching with interest. Maybe do a search on youtube for a tutorial :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Re: After-market vac-form canopies

Postby F-27pax » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:59 pm

I've done plenty of vacform canopies - as one does when making vacform and resin kits. I find that a new 11 blade and a lot of patience and care are necessary. It might take five or ten times around the base of the canopy to make a clean cut because each cut is so light. (Lightness means that if you slip the result is not fatal to the canopy.) That also depends on the thickness of the plastic. It sometimes helps to use a thin strip of thick masking tape to mark where you are making the cut. Lots of practice (or is that practise) also helps, I guess.
F-27pax

Return to Model Talk