Cheap, easy resin kit

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

Cheap, easy resin kit

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:51 am

Hi peeps. I've just received the following kits in the mail

I would like some suggestions of easy and relatively cheap resin kits that I can have a go at before I tackle these. These don't look too complicated but I'd rather do something fairly easy as it'll be my first resin model. I want to get a few more Olimp kits, especially the Hunter as it's really the only game in town as far as a decent 1/72 2 seater OOB. Thanks for ya help guys :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Re: Cheap, easy resin kit

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Hey Paul

I've not come cross any easy resin kits - certainly not cheap either. I can only suggest dive in and go for it! I've found working with resin kits is a lot more like "whittling" a chunk of wood sometimes - well right now in fact trying to match up wings to fuselage on a Neomega 1/48 Yak-52. Hope you have plenty of files - flat, curved and round and plenty of blades for your Exacto knife - straight and curved and sanding materials and fillers. This ain't "Shake n Bake" modelling - but to me great fun to get a decent result.
The major issue with resin kits is shrinkage - not, not the getting out of cold water issue :oops: , but inconsistency between parts - like my current issue with wing/fuselage with the Yak. Warping is a issue as well. Just use hot water here and bend the part back gently - not boiling water.
I just use CA glue for resin with no issues at all, some people use 5 min epoxy. Watch out with small parts as resin is brittle and it's real easy to break small parts. Oh yeah, hope you have a good razer saw, because you will be using that a lot!

Go for it young fella!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:41 pm

Oh yeah, got a story on that Avro 707A. For years a mate's wife was at me about the "jet" in her uncle's back yard - "Adam, you must go a see it!". Whilst intrigued as she had no idea what it was and all I could only guess was it may have been - Vampire or a Sabre perhaps. Anyway, said friends moved to Qld, her uncle died and the Avro ended up at RAAF PCK.
Lesson learned - when a friend says "Hey, go a check out this jet at my uncle's place" - get off ya ass and check it out! What a numbskull is I! :oops:

Adam the Akrodude

Postby F-27pax » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:01 am

The words 'resin' and 'cheap' and 'easy' don't usually appear in the same sentence. The kits that you've got there are among the easiest you are likely to come across, from my experience of that brand anyhow. However, the quality of resin kits is often a bit of a lucky dip, even in kits from the same manfacture. Making resin kits is a bit like making any kind of kit, after a while you wonder what was hard about it because you got used to the techniques that are involved and also used to the strengths and weaknesses of kits in resin. The kits that I got into resin kits with were Dujin, which are no longer in production and are by no means cheap, and far from easy. After that I tried some Anigrand kits which are relatively easy and I'd probably recommend them as a place to start. But most of them are not cheap. Have a look at the 'Aircraft kits (resin)' category in the Hannants advanced search data base and see what you think.
F-27pax

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:22 am

Thanks guys. When I said "cheap" and "easy" I shoulda said "reasonable price" and "not too complicated" :oops: :oops: :oops: That oz rb fan fella has hooked me up with a 1/72 Planet Models Ki-78. It looks relatively simple (but so did the Airfix DH.88 :o ) and I can paint it bright orange as I do like pretty colours LOL I think it's his way of getting me to build more Japanese planes :lol: :lol: Thanks for that Paul :D
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Return to Model Talk