B737 Antenna Orientation

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

B737 Antenna Orientation

Postby RayS » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:19 pm

Whilst enjoying the movements at Canberra 'International' Airport yesterday (my in-laws were heading back to Adelaide on QF737) I noticed something about the alignment of the antennas on the upper fuselage.

I noticed that they were not down the direct centre line of the aircraft, most offset to the left ( in the pictures) and the last offset to the right.

I always assumed they were on the centre line (as depicted on all model kit airliners I have built where supplied) but it obviously not the case. I assume the reason is that there is a structural member running the length of the fuselage and the antennas can't be secured there.

Is this also the case on other Boeing types and other manufacturers aircraft?
Ray

RayS

Re: B737 Antenna Orientation

Postby tor lives » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:25 pm

34DAF900 wrote:Whilst enjoying the movements at Canberra 'International' Airport yesterday (my in-laws were heading back to Adelaide on QF737) I noticed something about the alignment of the antennas on the upper fuselage.

I noticed that they were not down the direct centre line of the aircraft, most offset to the left ( in the pictures) and the last offset to the right.

I always assumed they were on the centre line (as depicted on all model kit airliners I have built where supplied) but it obviously not the case. I assume the reason is that there is a structural member running the length of the fuselage and the antennas can't be secured there.

Is this also the case on other Boeing types and other manufacturers aircraft?

Also off-set on the "Boeing" 717-200, (which I only just noticed recently :? )
tor lives

Re: B737 Antenna Orientation

Postby RayS » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:00 pm

I have been told 'off line' the reason is that the antennas need a structural member under them for support. When there is support on the centre line that is where they are put.
Ray

RayS

Return to Model Talk