Yah gotta be crappin' me...joys of photo etch

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

Yah gotta be crappin' me...joys of photo etch

Postby VH-WAL » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:42 pm

I pulled out my Aeroclub 1/48 Hawker Demon today, (such a beautiful biplane fighter I just had to buy this kit), The kit is really thoughtfully engineered so that there is no guesswork as to where all the inside bits fit and the box includes to photo etch frames, for mostly interior detail but also struts and stuff. Now I don't do interiors they bore the crap out of me and I don't see the point of doing stuff that is invisible once built. (I always build my models with closed canopies - I just like them that way, a throwback to my childhood days where I loved to "fly them around).
Anyway the kit has all this etch stuff, plus open cockpits where about 20 percent of this detail is going to be seen, hmm it's in the box may as well use it.. I have to say what a pain in the bum this stuff is to work with, eye squinting fiddly bloody stuff .. This experience has ensured a double resolve I will never buy this stuff to "improve" a model.... BUT I would be remiss not to say, it looks pretty damn good!
VH-WAL

Re: Yah gotta be crappin' me...joys of photo etch

Postby hrtpaul » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:45 pm

It always scared me. But now I have some proper tools (bender etc) I love the stuff. Still learning but I see more in my future :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby VH-WAL » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:52 pm

hrtpaul wrote:It always scared me. But now I have some proper tools (bender etc) I love the stuff. Still learning but I see more in my future :)

I don't think I could afford to keep one in beer and cigars
VH-WAL

Postby hrtpaul » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:53 pm

^^^^^ Fookin hilarious ain't ya LMFAO
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby DesTROYer » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:02 pm

I used to be scared shitless of the stuff, but the more I use it, the more I want to. Getting and using the right tools is the secret. And remember, it's not necessary to always use everything.

I've just started learning to solder it too which has opened a ton of new oppertunities for improvement.
DesTROYer

Return to Model Talk