Canopy dipping

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

Canopy dipping

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:04 am

With the disappearance of One-Go from the supermarket shelves, it seemed that the replacement product was a floor polish called Wood Magic.
DON'T USE IT!!
It doesn't stick to canopies as One-Go does, and leaves an oily residue behind when wiped off. Hopefully a good wash in soapy water will clean the part so I can start over.. :evil: :evil:
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Re: Canopy dipping

Postby oz rb fan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:25 am

ive used the new airfix acrylic clear gloss of canopies...it works just like one go.
oz rb fan

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:53 am

I have a bottle of water soluble new 125 ml Humbrol Clear gloss varnish. I've been assured by Darryl at Hearns that it's good stuff. I've not tried it on a canopy yet, but will do so soon and report findings.
Adam the Akrodude

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:12 pm

Shit. I knew I forgot something. Gonna have to find a supplier of future I found in Oz again :? :? :? :?
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby tor lives » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:24 pm

Yeah....come on Paul, get ya shit together buddy :D
TOR
tor lives

Postby Knotty » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:20 pm

Polish up stockist , I think it was called big fella .
Knotty

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:08 pm

Knotty wrote:Polish up stockist , I think it was called big fella .

That's it Knotty. Well done sir :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Nicolas_Fantich » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:47 pm

Cap'n Wannabe wrote:With the disappearance of One-Go from the supermarket shelves, it seemed that the replacement product was a floor polish called Wood Magic.
DON'T USE IT!!
It doesn't stick to canopies as One-Go does, and leaves an oily residue behind when wiped off. Hopefully a good wash in soapy water will clean the part so I can start over.. :evil: :evil:

Apologies Cap'n - I just had to PMSL when I read your post. :lol: You clearly didn't read the label which tells the user to add a couple of capfuls of the stuff to about 5 litres of water. Really :roll: .
WTF were you thinking Cap'n ?

By coincidence, I've actually been using Pledge 'Wood Magic' for its intended purpose of late in prepping some old varnished wooden floors in a house I am renovating ATM. Highly recommended (for this purpose).

With two capfuls in a bucket of water, you can dunk the whole bl**dy completed model in it :lol: NOT !

Anyways, the original Future is completely and utterly over rated IMHO.

The Humbrol Clear gloss varnish is much more readily available and serves the same/similar purpose. I've used some of this myself on canopies and as a gloss coat prior to decalling and it performs well as you'd expect. I think Humbrol plan to conquer the 'former-Future' market among modellers, just like they are enlivening the older modellers amongst us who find their new tooled Airfix kits the 'cat's pajamas' (with apologies to The Church)

Here's the Humbrol product:
http://www.airfix.com/us-en/humbrol-glo ... ottle.html

This is a useful instructional video for those interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByMhacC5vAE
Nicolas

On the Bench
1/144 Academy Douglas DC-6B - Adria Airways YU-AFF
1/48 Revell North American P-51D Mustang 'Miss America'
1/72 Airfix North American P-51D (Cavalier) Mustang N51RH
1/72 Airfix North American P-51D Mustang N64CL 'Miss Van Nuys'
Nicolas_Fantich

Postby Tony P » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:28 am

The Alclad aqua clear is a good dipper too.
You don’t concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done- Chuck Yeager.
Tony P

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:05 am

I've been using One Go/Future for ages. And after being shown how to use it correctly by Antoney on AMI, I haven't looked back. I haven't used the Humbrol stuff but at $127/litre compared to about $25/litre for Future, I know which one I'm sticking with 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
hrtpaul

Next

Return to Model Talk