Roden 1/144 Boeing 720 Starship One

Re: Roden 1/144 Boeing 720 Starship One

Postby hrtpaul » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:16 am

Cap'n Wannabe wrote:Bit more progress, no pics but...
Puttied up the windows and sanded them back. Round 2 starts soon...
Also cut out the cockpit top and repositioned it - it was slightly off-centre and really bugged me. So that's got a heap of putty around it too, and need to add a bit more before sanding it back.
Fuselage has been primed, and upper seam sanded. May need some putty....we'll see after re-priming. Bottom seam needs sanding, and I need to fix a small area on the rudder that got a bit of glue on the outside.
And, of course, I busted off the antenna on the lower fuselage. Thankfully I found it, so it's safely in the kit's box until I glue it back on.

Can't wait to see this at expo next week 8-) 8-) 8-)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:25 pm

Slowly and steady wins the race. Whoever said that originally was full of it!
Anyhow, I *am* making progress - a little at a time.
So far, I've puttied all the windows. They need a second application in places, and I'll be getting to that within the next 6 months or so. I've also repositioned the windscreen and I *think* that's all done. Another coat of primer will say for sure. The seam along the top of the fuselage has been sanded and filled, and I've applied putty along the bottom of the fuse. I'll be sanding that tomorrow. Or the next day. Or the next...

Question time now...
On the Minicraft 737-400, there are no panel lines on the fuselage, apart from the emergency exit doors (and possibly on the tail...can't remember..) On this kit, there are panel lines all over the place. Thing is, they don't meet at the fuselage join. They're either offset, or I've managed to misalign the fuselage slightly longitudinally. I know I did top to bottom...that's pretty standard practice for me!
The top of the fuselage has had the panel lines sanded away. So is it worth rescribing them, or just filling them all in?
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:24 pm

I wouldn't bother rescibing in that scale. More often than not it looks overscale at best IMHO :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:33 pm

Got all motivated today....a rare occurence!
Sanded the bottom seam, and re-puttied then sanded the windows. I *think* she's ready for another prime..

Oh yeah....gotta wash her first. Planning to do that Saturday night so I can prime on Sunday..
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:02 pm

So I had a bit of free time over the last couple of days, and I managed to get her primed. A few hairs or something got in the way on the back end, but once I sort them out the first coat of white goes on..

Cap'n Wannabe

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:52 pm

More progress..
I sprayed the white lower section of the fuselage on Sunday, and now I'm starting the fiddly process of making masks for the Wine Red. After that, there'll be more masks for Pale Gold.
The decal sheet has decals for the Wine Red cheat lines, however the upper cheat line has window cutouts, and I don't want them. After much pondering, I decided to paint everything except the registration marks and the Led Zeppelin/Deep Purple decals....and I'm making my own door outlines (these would have been too fiddly to mask..).
And don't give me a hard time, TOR - your Omega decals will be printed on the same sheet!

And just for fun, here's the masking started..

Cap'n Wannabe

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:47 pm

And after about 45 minutes, one side is done....at least, the boundary..

Cap'n Wannabe

Postby tor lives » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:01 am

That is some really impressive work Damo!!!
TOR
tor lives

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:37 am

Masking Mark II..
I wasn't happy with the original masking, so I removed it and started again. I think this time works a bit better..
Basically I aligned copied the decal sheet, covered the cheat lines in clear packing tape, and cut them out. Then I laid them in position on the fuselage, and taped them down. Finally I traced the bottom edge with a #11 blade..
Still a work in progress..

Cap'n Wannabe

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:26 pm

After a *lot* of frustration, I came to the realisation I should have painted the Wine Red first, then masked the cheat lines. Long story...
Anyhow, I bit the bullet and sprayed again. There were a few places where I got an orange peel finish....definitely not the desired outcome! So I've rubbed it back in places with 15000 grit and will respray tomorrow. *Sigh*

Cap'n Wannabe

PreviousNext

Return to Group Build: Boeing 707