A Postcard From the Lake District

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

A Postcard From the Lake District

Postby VH-WAL » Sat May 21, 2022 10:35 pm

Thought I would try the Lakes District to catch some low flying action so I set off at 5am with fingers crossed and prepared for disappointment. Got set up on a hill over Ullswater around 8.30 am, the weather was as forecast overcast in the morning sunny in the afternoon. My 360 radar app showed nothing in the area or departing bases for my area and my scanner was silent (all day as it happened). The views were terrific and I was reasonably comfortable in my chair though when the wind picked up I did get a bit chilled.
So after this scenario setting preamble around 10am I heard a rumble to the South toward Patterdale and I spotted a jet at low-level cranking around the corner of the valley, it was the first of 2 F-15s (number 2 about 20 secs behind the leader) The pair did not follow the course of the lake the leader electing to turn toward and climb out over the top of me and number 2 to climb and break before reaching me. Photographically speaking this was very annoying but wow pretty exciting, the F-15 pics show the difficult lighting and you can imagine me trying to track him over my head whilst trying not to fall off the mountain. About an hour later and I heard another rumble from the South and spotted a jet again cranking around the corner leaving vapour trails Bingo! it was a pair of F-35s which I had not managed to capture before. On their initial pass these guys stayed low and followed the course of the lake below me where they did a curious thing, climbing and turning around to come over the hill crest behind me and then turn back into the valley and then, well head toward me.. like I mean at me. The leader cranked upside down a couple of hundred feet above me and number two he stayed level but was a bit lower (A bit! the noise was incredible and I heard and felt his wake vortices). Well I was on a shaking high for about 20 minutes after that pass. After several hours in the afternoon I heard a whisper down south and spotted a large aircraft coming up the lake ..it was a RAF A400 this was great there arent many of them and they dont low fly that often. After that a pair of Omani Hawks sneaked quietly by well over the other side of the valley and I was not able to get a reasonable shot of them but was well pleased with the day as I trudged down the mountain.

quite a few more if you go into my photostream:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/87490663@ ... 087311073/
VH-WAL

Re: A Postcard From the Lake District

Postby hrtpaul » Mon May 23, 2022 2:39 pm

Great pics as usual mate. As much as I'm not a fan of the POS, that 4th pic is a bloody cracker :o :o :o
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Return to Crew Lounge