Airbus winglets

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Airbus winglets

Postby hrtpaul » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:11 pm

Hey peeps. Just wondering how long the Jetstar A320's have had big winglets like the QF 737's. I'm at Tulla waiting to go to TVL and noticed VH-VFP had them but others don't. It's the first time I've seen them on a JQ Airbus. I took some pics on my phone so I'll put them up when I get to TVL :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Re: Airbus winglets

Postby Nillus » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:38 pm

A320 Neo & A320 Enhanced come with "Sharklets" as standard.
A320SL's can be optioned at the factory as a fuel saving option...SL = SharkLets.

Airbus Industrie playing catch-up with Boeing.
Last edited by Nillus on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nillus

Postby hrtpaul » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:41 pm

Thanks Salty. So they're brand spankers or used aircraft?
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Nillus » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:44 pm

Newies...September last year.
Bought by QF and "leased" to JQ.
Nillus

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:39 am

Salty wrote:Newies...September last year.
Bought by QF and "leased" to JQ.

Thanks mate and why doesn't that surprise me :roll:
hrtpaul

Postby B_finch » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:24 pm

We have a Sharklet at work that got hit by lighting last yr, Unlike the Winglet that has a single piece upper and lower skin, the Sharket has 8 skin panels on the LWR side and i think about 7 on the upper.
One thing I can say 3 panels we are replacing ain't cheap at all, one of them cost about $28,500.

Trying to spares from Airbus is a PITA, for what it worth
B_finch

Postby Nillus » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:03 pm

Someone ...(surely not apilot...ummm...err) dropped his/her iPad on the FMS MFD...[OK...the screen for data input that runs the flight management computer].
$115,000 later, it was replaced. ow.
Nillus

Postby davecana » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:05 pm

B_finch wrote:We have a Sharklet at work that got hit by lighting last yr, Unlike the Winglet that has a single piece upper and lower skin, the Sharket has 8 skin panels on the LWR side and i think about 7 on the upper.
One thing I can say 3 panels we are replacing ain't cheap at all, one of them cost about $28,500.

And I suppose they don't list a repair scheme in the SIRM either, just to make sure you have to purchase a newie. At least Beechcraft list a repair for theirs, albeit it is a lot smaller and only 1 pce.
davecana

Postby B_finch » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:21 pm

davecana wrote:
B_finch wrote:We have a Sharklet at work that got hit by lighting last yr, Unlike the Winglet that has a single piece upper and lower skin, the Sharket has 8 skin panels on the LWR side and i think about 7 on the upper.

And I suppose they don't list a repair scheme in the SIRM either, just to make sure you have to purchase a newie. At least Beechcraft list a repair for theirs, albeit it is a lot smaller and only 1 pce.

They do Dave, it's not that the repair can't be done, it's way BER to repair the panels.
It's actual cheaper to replace them, than to buy the prepreg carbon as you can only by a roll instead of yardage
B_finch

Return to Crew Lounge