Ipec DC-9/ Argosy

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Ipec DC-9/ Argosy

Postby Capt NG » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:39 am

Not a flying clip, but how can one forget the sound of those PW engines, a sound you could hear approaching an airport during the golden era..

Knotty you'd probably have fond memories refuelling these birds?

http://youtu.be/0W1hqQ2hUZw

Low fly past of Argosy...

http://youtu.be/IsjE9j3MtgM
It's hard for me to get used to these changing times... I remember when the air was clean and the sex was dirty..
Capt NG

Re: Ipec DC-9/ Argosy

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:11 am

Certainly fond memories of watching the Argosy fly over Melbourne in the 80's. It's an aeroplane with a commanding presence - just the sound of those four turbo-props and it's unusual and functional shape.
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Capt NG » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:14 am

Yeah I used to hear them fly over CBR in the middle of the night en route to Melbourne... Love to get a model kit of one.
It's hard for me to get used to these changing times... I remember when the air was clean and the sex was dirty..
Capt NG

Postby Knotty » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:39 pm

I loved the DC-9 s and the Argosy 's Stu ,great memories for sure . We used to refuel 3 DC-9s a night at MEL . 2 to LST and 1 to BNE .what a great bunch of blokes too, pilots , engineers .........it was a no fuss , no bullshit operation . With anologe gauges in the wing ,that required constant tapping to get the correct reading . The Argosy was another great aircraft , 20 min turn a rounds were not uncommon , a truck at each end .......5 pellets out.......while 5 pellets were coming in . It was a real struggle to get the fuelling complete in that time .......especially in summer when they required water methanol . It wasn't uncommon for the water meth dolly to be running out of air while trying to get the 200 or so litres on . Argosy' s had to be dripped before every fuelling , so by the time the engineers did that ,and we put the fuel and water meth on .......you were pushing shit up hill right from the start . ;) ;) I have an emergency exit out of an Argosy hanging up in my bar at home ...........great memories .
Knotty

Postby Capt NG » Thu May 01, 2014 7:35 am

Good background there knotty.. I remember seeing that bar at your place. Good memories mate. :D
Capt NG

Postby Night-Raptor » Thu May 01, 2014 10:28 pm

I remember the Argosy fondly - we lived right under the North East approach line to Essendon, and the bastards woke me up regular as clockwork nearly every morning at 0600!!
Still - would love to see a kit in those colours. Think I still have some old photos kicking around....
NR
Night Raptor
Because after dark - everything looks good with Tiger Stripes.....
Night-Raptor

Return to Crew Lounge