2018 F1 Season

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Re: 2018 F1 Season

Postby Ansett A330 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:17 pm

Again some poor scoring and Autosport leaving open the Tipping window until after Qualifying led to me to drop to Number 9 and then amazingly after an even worse score at the US GP to climb up one to Number 8 apparently (haven't checked just going on what Graeme tells me!).

Mexico this Weekend and almost certainly Hamilton will win his 5th Title. He's good but I really don't think he's THAT good. After all Nico was able to beat him and look how many times Mark Webber beat Nico. Also I really don't believe Hamilton can develop a car like some can. If he could then the MP4/28 wouldn't have had the troubles that it did and he could have had a realistic shot at defending his 2008 Title in 2009. At least by winning in 2008 he denied Massa a Title which really would have been a travesty!
Ansett A330

Postby Tony P » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:38 pm

Hamilton is just lucky he is in the best car.

Are you sure there is no conspiracy theory to knock you off top spot? I forgot my tips for Mexico. Hopefully they keep as per USA not that it will do any better!
You don’t concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done- Chuck Yeager.
Tony P

Postby Ansett A330 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:46 pm

Yes true too true. There are some that say he took the risk going to Merc but with McLaren how hopeless they are from then and Merc virtually having all fingers in the Pie of specifying this "Hybrid era" it was inevitable they would have the best package and dominate at least until the others manage to catch up which they haven't been able to do on a regular basis yet now five years later!

And yes I believe there was a conspiracy to knock me off top. I see Autosport picked up their Act and closed Tipping at the correct time. However the damage has been done and all those B******s who changed their Tips after Qualifying over the last three Races have benefited enormously.

Yes I do believe if you don't "Clear" your Tips they stay there for the next Race/s. Next year I think I'll create another Log on and leave the Tips the same from the start of the year and see how that "person" goes compared with changing the Tips for each Race. Probably not end up too much different!
Ansett A330

Postby Tony P » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:29 am

I wish they would bring in the 2021 changes next year. Three years is too long to wait. The sport is suffering.
You don’t concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done- Chuck Yeager.
Tony P

Postby Ansett A330 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:47 pm

Tony P wrote:I wish they would bring in the 2021 changes next year. Three years is too long to wait. The sport is suffering.

Well if they result in closer racing and the ability to PASS that would be great however I fear that they aren't addressing the obvious cause/s of the lack of close racing and the ability to PASS and that primarily centres on these absolutely stupid front "wings".

All of the Tech guys say about how critical the front wing and it's billions of elements has become in channelling the air to certain areas and the resulting "benefits" but in the same breath they say that it's the front wing's inability to function in "dirty" air when trying to get close to the car in front that causes the loss in handling and the inability to PASS! So if they are that smart then why don't they specify a design of front wing that won't be as sensitive to "dirty" air as these billion element "Carbon Fibre Works of Art" are? For example go back to just two "components" - the "Aerofoil" and a "Gurney Flap" and specify a huge surface area. You don't have to be Einstein to know that will work.

It can't be that hard but they seem to continually Eff it Up. I knew this new "Turbo Hybrid Era" would be rubbish. You only had to look back at the early to mid Eighties when the Turbos killed off the great 3 Litre era.
Ansett A330

Postby Tony P » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:46 pm

I think they are going to two elements on the front wing next year. Or at least getting rid of a whole bunch of them.

I think Indy has it right at the moment. Although I'm not a fan of the rear wheel arches.
Tony P

Postby Ansett A330 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:05 pm

Tony P wrote:... Although I'm not a fan of the rear wheel arches.

Yes not really "Open Wheelers" unfortunately.

I reckon it's a Yank throw back to the second coming (and unfortunately killing off US F5000) of "Can Am" from 1977 to whenever in the early 80s it died a horrible death. They should have known from the start of that that it was a bad idea when the Lola of triple F5000 Champ Brian Redman flipped nearly killing him and certainly putting a halt on his career for a fair few years after that and never really recovering to his former level.

The Yanks never really got over the death of the original Can Am in the early 70s.
Ansett A330

Postby Ansett A330 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:01 pm

A Dan and Brendon "ANZAC" Team at Toro Rosso for the last two Races?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13973 ... cursed-car

(Which would mean a preview of Cloggboy and CrazyFrogboy at Red Bull!)
Ansett A330

Postby Tony P » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:08 pm

Don't see any harm in that.

Have you seen the tin foil hat stuff in the Dan Ric facebook group? It's all Helmut's fault!
Tony P

Postby Ansett A330 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:18 pm

No sorry I haven't. Much to Graeme's disgust I'm not on FB and never will be.
Ansett A330

PreviousNext

Return to Crew Lounge