Say no to CGI!

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Say no to CGI!

Postby Tony P » Tue May 13, 2014 9:17 pm

You don’t concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done- Chuck Yeager.
Tony P

Re: Say no to CGI!

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Tue May 13, 2014 9:24 pm

It's cool, but there is nothing wrong with CGI either.
_BlackHawk_

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Wed May 14, 2014 11:19 am

That's some fancy flyin' by Larry Hagman (not). Incredible flying by the real fling wing drivers involved. CGI has it's place in movies these days, where it's just not possible or economically viable to use the "real" thing. Yet, to me CGI is soulless, lifeless and you know it's put together with rooms full of sweaty, pimply computer nerds! Often the "physics" is complete bullshit with the aeroplane(s) just doing impossible stuff - either in flight or in it's destruction.

That Czech film Dark Blue World mostly got it right I think with a mix of new "real" footage, some old BoB movie (legendary movie in my books - my all time fav!) footage and some CGI. The CGI does stand out like dog knackers, but considering that this was not some Hollywood blockbuster, I think they did a pretty good job overall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0stVlJXAsbQ

Example of very bad CGI when B-17 looses a wing and flops onto and remains attached to another B-17. This movie looks complete crap based on the CGI I've seen here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBy_FIlcOJs

This looks a bit better - from the big budget Lucas Films movie "Red Tails". I've not seen the whole movie - anybody?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reoTYtQQjK4

Here's Ray Hanna actually flying a Spitfire under a bridge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf3UtmHLKUU

So, my opinion is CGI does have a place in movies, but it just ain't as good as the real thing.
Adam the Akrodude

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Wed May 14, 2014 1:11 pm

If you look hard enough on You Tube you will find the full Red Tails movie in 1080HD. That movie was so bad I couldn't even watch the whole thing FOR FREE!! The dialog sucked the mistakes were bad, every B-17 has defective wing spars and bursts into flames faster than a Molotov cocktail, the sound effects are recycled from Star Wars (listen carefully to B-17's exploding) and the movements of the aircraft are very jerky. However, I liked the detail in the CGI and it isn't the issue, it's how it's used that is.

BTW, for real flying with Helicopters, I always liked Fire Birds with Nicolas Cage and Tommy Lee Jones. It's a bit corny, but as a kid I always wanted to fly Eric Stollers Scorpion (Hughes 500) helicopter. This movie is also on youtube in full if you look.
_BlackHawk_

Postby Nillus » Wed May 14, 2014 3:28 pm

CGI?
You've probably all seen his work, but the definitive Masaru Tochibayashi work in my opinion is this short but magnificent clip...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fNJ8rIEPLOo
Nillus

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Wed May 14, 2014 3:37 pm

Salty wrote:CGI?
You've probably all seen his work, but the definitive Masaru Tochibayashi work in my opinion is this short but magnificent clip...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fNJ8rIEPLOo

Great clip! When CGI is used as a art form like that it's very impressive - not being used in some half-baked re-writing of history Hollywood style. There is a purity to this CGI clip.

Now for some reality!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8_5Qc1mK54
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Nillus » Thu May 15, 2014 7:11 pm

The amazing Ray Hanna low pass...RIP Ray. :(
That reporter was at Ray's funeral service too.
Sadly, Ray's son Mark died in a tragic Bouchon Bf109 crash in 1999.

A truly classic clip.
Last edited by Nillus on Thu May 15, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nillus

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Thu May 15, 2014 7:42 pm

Salty wrote:The amazing Ray Hanna low pass...RIP Ray. :(
That reporter was at Ray's funeral service too.
Sadly, Ray's son Mark died in a tragic Buchon Bf109 crash in 1999.

A truly classic clip.

Mark's crash in that Buchon was bloody awful. It was wake turbulence wasn't it? Did Mark hit his own vortices from his prior low beat up? It was something like that wasn't it. Supposed to be a rather difficult aeroplane to fly. I certainly ain't fearless (nor remotely rich enough :cry: ) to fly a serious warbird.

I never got to see either fly, only watched on DVD. Father and son were something special.

Now coz I like you guys, here's a link to seeing the legendary Neil Williams flying a Spitfire. Neil basically taught himself aerobatics, joined the RAF and then went onto greatness in the aerobatic world. His two books are I think essential reading, as he had such incredible adventures and experience in so many different aeroplanes. He once suffered a catastrophic spar failure in his Zlin Akrobat with one wing folding. He rolled inverted slamming the wing back in place and flew inverted back to the field. Just before touchdown, he rolled away from the damaged wing, scraping one wing tip in the grass and crashed upright - LEGEND! The UK Aerobatic club have a annual Neil Williams trophy which depicts this event.

Here's Neil in a Spitfire not the best quality sadly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p30jIe2pgsQ
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Nillus » Thu May 15, 2014 8:08 pm

Crash report:
"A Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L Buchón aircraft, registration G-BOML, took off from Gerona airport at 9.15 UTC, with the pilot flying solo, accompanied by a Piper Aztec from Sabadell Aeroclub. It flew to Sabadell where an air show was taking place. The two aircraft, with the Piper in the lead, began a pass at a low height and in formation along runway 31. Approximately halfway down the runway, the HA-1112-M1L aircraft broke formation to the left and partially repeated the pattern, to perform a pass along the runway at a low height and high speed, finishing with a climb with a barrel roll in the direction of Tarrasa and entered the left approach pattern to runway 31 at the right altitude. During that maneuver, according to the report from the airport tower controller, the pilot requested authorisation to cross the airfield and land on runway 13. Once authorisation was granted, he performed a short pattern that ended in a left turn at low height with between 30° or 45° of bank, as if trying to see the runway threshold he left behind, with his landing gear down and in a landing configuration. At one point during the manoeuvre, the aircraft's left wing began to drop and the aircraft lost height. Despite attempts by the pilot to recover from the departure from controlled flight by increasing power and managing to climb a bit, it was not enough, and finally the aircraft impacted against terrain and caught fire. The aircraft slid across the ground, broke the fence surrounding the airport, crossed the airport ring road, climbed the bank located before the runway threshold 13 and finally stopped in the strip at the threshold height about 30 meters from the runway end. The aircraft caught fire and was destroyed.
The pilot, Mark Hanna, suffered serious burns to his head, arms and legs and died later."

It would appear its a stall with a wing drop and an attempt at recovery at very low level. High AoB with high drag configuration...with predictable results. So awfully sad.
Caveat: There but for the Grace of God go I.
Nillus

Postby oz rb fan » Thu May 15, 2014 9:13 pm

oz rb fan

Next

Return to Crew Lounge