Just back

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Just back

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:10 pm

- from our version of the Griswold's European Vacation. Well, physically I've been back in country for a couple of days. Took the fam over to see the wife's fam over in Ireland, then visited London and Paris to show the kids these two amazing cities. Managed to burn my forearm in Ireland filling a f_cking hot water bottle for the wife - it does get a tad cold over there this time of year. I'm just not endorsed filling those accursed rubber contraptions and my forearm ended up looking like a slice of ham. My kids called it my "Thanos glove" - some will get this reference. To drown my sorrows, three of my bro-in-laws took me out one night for a few pints of Guinness in downtown Cork which helped big time.

Saw a poor ol' Concorde in the distance sitting outside at Heathrow - really should be in a museum somewhere or kept in a hangar. Saw a Air France Concorde on a plinth at CDG pointing skyward - weird given on of it's hangar mates fiery end. Weird thing I saw along the Thames was two AH-64 Longbows flying in formation. Then they stopped and hovered and one pointed towards Parliament, then they flew off - just weird and so out of place. Reminded me from a scene in the movie Capricorn One.

Did some real low level flying on the way to Paris in the Eurostar train - man can that thing move - around 300 kph on or thereabouts.

How did everyone else survive the Chrissy/New Year break?
Adam the Akrodude

Re: Just back

Postby BradG » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:06 pm

Sounds good, I was just happy that I didn't have to have christmas lunch with my idiot extended family.
BradG

Postby oz rb fan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:05 am

man i couldn't agree more about the Heathrow Concorde...she just looks sad in her fenced bay(yes they do Maintenance one her but she just looks sad)....it's been warm here so no hot water bottles.......don't they have heaters over there?....Dad and i saw a Chinook emerge from the fog when we were beside the cutty sark in 2011.......so no air museums this trip?......oh dont click your fingers........i have models to build
oz rb fan

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:34 am

oz rb fan wrote:man i couldn't agree more about the Heathrow Concorde...she just looks sad in her fenced bay(yes they do Maintenance one her but she just looks sad)....it's been warm here so no hot water bottles.......don't they have heaters over there?....Dad and i saw a Chinook emerge from the fog when we were beside the cutty sark in 2011.......so no air museums this trip?......oh dont click your fingers........i have models to build

No, this trip was primarily seeing fam in Ireland and some "cultural" stuff for the kids on the way back - get heir heads out of "devices" and open their minds stuff. Got to walk up the Arch de Triomph for the first time - 200+ steps - phew! The view of Paris is extraordinary up to top though. There was a Yellow Shirt riot there the following day with hundreds of police c/w water cannon tankers, etc. Paris is pretty "dynamic" these days. I would have loved to go to the Muse'e de l'air ar Le Bourget, but no dice - we just didn't have enough time this trip. :-(
Adam the Akrodude

Postby oz rb fan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:45 am

damn....i missed the opportunity to go to the Paris airshow in 2011......something i still regret...but family stuff is important...we did the 1st level of the Eiffel tower..57 meters up brilliant view
oz rb fan

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:14 pm

We got up to second level (115m I think), but the top level was being worked on so no visitors. It was in and out of cloud in any case, so the view would not have been good. It was a cold and scuddy day when we were there. I more enjoyed climbing the Arch de Triomph - more from a historical point I guess.

It's pretty cool visiting places where event's like the below took place.

Adam the Akrodude

Postby RayS » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:00 pm

Nice to see you back Adam,

I had to slum it in Hawaii over Christmas :(
Ray

RayS

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:45 pm

RayS wrote:Nice to see you back Adam,

I had to slum it in Hawaii over Christmas :(

Bet you're a damn site browner! I've come back a pale face having not seen much sun in almost a month.
Adam the Akrodude

Return to Crew Lounge