So that's it for the A380!

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

So that's it for the A380!

Postby Ansett A330 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:26 am

Ansett A330

Re: So that's it for the A380!

Postby RayS » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:51 am

and... Link
Ray

RayS

Postby Ansett A330 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:03 am

RayS wrote:Link

Interesting.

"However, Airbus’ hand was forced after Emirates chose not to firm up an memorandum of understanding (MoU) signed in January 2018 that comprised orders for 20 A380s and options for 16 more of the type.

The inability to convert the MoU to a firm order was because Emirates’ discussions with Rolls-Royce could not reach an agreement on the supply of engines for those aircraft."

So it's Rolls' fault?

Interesting sort of history almost repeating with Rolls involvement with the Tristar's "failure" to sell being blamed on the early issues RB211 and Rolls' nearly going bankrupt and now a Customer not buying A380s because they couldn't secure the Engines from Rolls. One difference is I suppose there is an alternative Engine available for the A380 as opposed to the Tristar.

Thus the Countdown begins to the last A380 Pax Flight ...
Ansett A330

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:40 pm

Ansett A330 wrote:
RayS wrote:Link

Interesting.

"However, Airbus’ hand was forced after Emirates chose not to firm up an memorandum of understanding (MoU) signed in January 2018 that comprised orders for 20 A380s and options for 16 more of the type.

The inability to convert the MoU to a firm order was because Emirates’ discussions with Rolls-Royce could not reach an agreement on the supply of engines for those aircraft."

So it's Rolls' fault?

Interesting sort of history almost repeating with Rolls involvement with the Tristar's "failure" to sell being blamed on the early issues RB211 and Rolls' nearly going bankrupt and now a Customer not buying A380s because they couldn't secure the Engines from Rolls. One difference is I suppose there is an alternative Engine available for the A380 as opposed to the Tristar.

Thus the Countdown begins to the last A380 Pax Flight ...

I don't think any agreement with RR would change the fact that the 380 is not as efficient when compared to 777, 787 and A350. I now wonder what the future holds for Emirates and Etihad given the coming "hub jumper" versions of the 787 & A350. It must effect their base line if many other airlines offer to and choose to fly over the ME or around it in coming years. Not pax'd in a A350 or a 787 yet, but got to say the A380 was just fine back in "Convict Class" - always plenty of knee room. 777's I've travelled on always seem to be tighter with only millimetres between knee cap and the seat in front. 787 is supposed to be a little faster too isn't it - whether they bother using that little extra speed, I've no idea. I do like the idea of the higher cabin pressure as it's supposed to reduce dehydration and help with jet lag recovery - anyone with experience with this?
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Ansett A330 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:46 pm

Adam the Akrodude wrote:I don't think any agreement with RR would change the fact that the 380 is not as efficient when compared to 777, 787 and A350.

Mechanics wise yes but they were obviously trying to negotiate the economics of it to try and make 4 Engines competitive with 2 Engines (at least on Paper and in the Bean Counters' eyes).
Ansett A330

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:10 am

Ansett A330 wrote:
Adam the Akrodude wrote:I don't think any agreement with RR would change the fact that the 380 is not as efficient when compared to 777, 787 and A350.

Mechanics wise yes but they were obviously trying to negotiate the economics of it to try and make 4 Engines competitive with 2 Engines (at least on Paper and in the Bean Counters' eyes).

From what I've heard and read, it's chalk and cheese from the economics side of things - i.e, the all important and overriding factor that determines whether a airline makes it or fails. I don't think we've seen a event like this since say the demise of the DC-10 - am I right when a airliner has just lost faith by it's operators and airline after airline cancelling orders and getting rid of their 380's after the 10 year mark (SIA did this I believe). I do say again from a passenger experience, this is a shame as the 380 was a comfortable ride. Then again, I was not ever unlikely enough to suffer any technical issues on any flight (guess I've only been on about 8-10 flights in 380s that effected the flight and on-going connections - lucky I guess. Perhaps it's more like that transition from propeller to jet engine powered airlines when one technology so greatly exceeds the other. When one technology is approx 20% more efficient than another, it's time for natural selection to kick in. Still, they'll be around for some time to come I guess.
Adam the Akrodude

Return to Crew Lounge