Hell of a way to demonstrate a point

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Hell of a way to demonstrate a point

Postby tor lives » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:05 pm

So, to all my "VLAT/LAT for Australia" critic "experts" of the past......what say you now??? :roll:
I think it is safe to say you were wrong.
TOR
tor lives

Re: Hell of a way to demonstrate a point

Postby scotty100368 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:22 pm

I would argue the other way - you can never have enough air tankers!
Scott Garard
former QF ramper (Thanks alot AJ!)
now Aust Post van driver
scotty100368

Postby Ansett A330 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:38 pm

Very sadly it's gone way beyond that now and it's sobering to realise that the area burned is apparently greater than the area burned in the Amazon and California combined. Just staggering.

Now while I know there are multiple factors involved in Incidents/Fatalities but when you see that people are being killed by Roll Overs and Falling Objects isn't it obvious that money needs to be spent on vehicles with ROPS and FOPS in order to basically protect those who are risking their Lives fighting these fires? Perhaps if they do have a practical Royal Commission this might be one of the Recommendations.

And with respect to numbers given the scale of the disaster the modified "Argument" would be ... - you WILL NEVER have enough air tankers!
Ansett A330

Postby BradG » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:50 am

While I don't disagree with having air tankers, spending more money on these resources is still reactionary rather than preventative. If you took the hypothetical money in this thread being spent on having more VLAT on station and spent it on back burning, clearing undergrowth, building firebreaks and knocking down trees that boarder important roads to keep them accessible, it would be far more effective.

I just wonder how many more homes need to be lost and people die before we throw out this greenie rubbish and start actually taking effective measures to mitigate the bush fire risk.
BradG

Postby BradG » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:52 pm

Just to add to my point, we have about 150 fixed and rotary wing fire fighting aircraft on hand at the moment and it still wasn't enough. How many more will it take? You are simply not going to be able to control a fire of this size even if you threw twice as many resources as we currently have at it. Fuel build up was in some areas, measuring 60-70 tonnes per hectare, making a fire simply unstoppable by fire fighting forces.
BradG

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:25 am

We don't need no steenkin' VLATs!

(sorry for the late reply..)
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Return to Crew Lounge