Sure we've got cheap flights...

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Re: Sure we've got cheap flights...

Postby hrtpaul » Wed May 28, 2014 4:46 pm

Having flown out of Townsville on the weekend, I'd like to think that the life rafts were fitted to my 737. We departed to the north and then did a R/H turn over the water. Now if it had all turned to shit I would rather be sitting in a life raft than treading water in waters renowned for it's number of Tiger Sharks, Crocodiles and other animals that would like to turn me into seaweed fertilizer. Saving $1 million isn't gonna help QANTAS. But it'll help me get back to my family and that's all I care about.
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Capt NG » Wed May 28, 2014 8:44 pm

Guys CAO 20-11 for reference...

5.2 Life rafts
5.2.1 An aircraft that is flown over water at a distance from land greater than the permitted distance must carry, as part of its emergency and lifesaving equipment, sufficient life rafts to provide a place in a life raft for each person on board the aircraft.
5.2.1.1 For the purposes of paragraph 5.2.1, the permitted distance is:
(a) in the case of an aircraft that has:
(i) 4 engines; or
(ii) 3 turbine engines; or
(iii) 2 turbine engines and complies with section 20.7.1B;
a distance equal to 120 minutes at normal cruising speed, or 400 miles, whichever is the less; or
(b) in any other case — a distance equal to 30 minutes at normal cruising speed, or 100 miles, whichever is the less.
5.2.2 Notwithstanding the requirements of paragraph 5.2.1, CASA may require the carriage of life rafts on such other overwater flights as CASA considers necessary.
5.2.3 Life rafts carried in accordance with paragraph 5.2.1 shall be in addition to life jackets carried in accordance with paragraphs 5.1.1 and 5.1.2.
5.2.4 Life rafts carried in accordance with this section shall be stowed so as to be readily accessible in the event of a ditching without appreciable time for preparatory procedures. When life rafts are stowed in compartments or containers, such compartments or containers shall be appropriately and conspicuously marked. Where life raft stowages have to be installed in aircraft to meet the requirements of this section, such stowages shall comply with the requirements of Part 101 appropriate to the certification of the aircraft concerned.
5.2.5 Life rafts must comply with a standard approved by CASA.

CAO 20.7.1B applies to aircraft weight and performance limitations for turbine powered aeroplanes above 5700kg. Hence B737 covered under this applicable order..

It makes sense for QF to not carry them if not required..

By the way...slides are not certified as emergency floatation equipment however Boeing say that an inflated slide could be buoyant, and used as a floatation device, also handgrips are positioned along the sides of the slide.
It's hard for me to get used to these changing times... I remember when the air was clean and the sex was dirty..
Capt NG

Postby hrtpaul » Wed May 28, 2014 9:40 pm

Capt NG wrote:Guys CAO 20-11 for reference...

5.2 Life rafts
5.2.1 An aircraft that is flown over water at a distance from land greater than the permitted distance must carry, as part of its emergency and lifesaving equipment, sufficient life rafts to provide a place in a life raft for each person on board the aircraft.
5.2.1.1 For the purposes of paragraph 5.2.1, the permitted distance is:
(a) in the case of an aircraft that has:
(i) 4 engines; or
(ii) 3 turbine engines; or
(iii) 2 turbine engines and complies with section 20.7.1B;
a distance equal to 120 minutes at normal cruising speed, or 400 miles, whichever is the less; or
(b) in any other case — a distance equal to 30 minutes at normal cruising speed, or 100 miles, whichever is the less.
5.2.2 Notwithstanding the requirements of paragraph 5.2.1, CASA may require the carriage of life rafts on such other overwater flights as CASA considers necessary.
5.2.3 Life rafts carried in accordance with paragraph 5.2.1 shall be in addition to life jackets carried in accordance with paragraphs 5.1.1 and 5.1.2.
5.2.4 Life rafts carried in accordance with this section shall be stowed so as to be readily accessible in the event of a ditching without appreciable time for preparatory procedures. When life rafts are stowed in compartments or containers, such compartments or containers shall be appropriately and conspicuously marked. Where life raft stowages have to be installed in aircraft to meet the requirements of this section, such stowages shall comply with the requirements of Part 101 appropriate to the certification of the aircraft concerned.
5.2.5 Life rafts must comply with a standard approved by CASA.

CAO 20.7.1B applies to aircraft weight and performance limitations for turbine powered aeroplanes above 5700kg. Hence B737 covered under this applicable order..

It makes sense for QF to not carry them if not required..

That'll be cold comfort for me when I'm treading water 30 miles off TVL :| I hardly think saving a million $$$/year in fuel is gonna save QF from their current or future financial woes :o
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Capt NG » Thu May 29, 2014 6:35 am

You'll be right mate.. Just lay on your back and breath :lol: ...yeah, I take your point over the financial side if things. Aviation is a mugs game...unfortunately, the decisions made by Joyce et al have ensured that the airline industry in this country is damaged to a level where it will take years.. If ever to repair itself. :(
It's hard for me to get used to these changing times... I remember when the air was clean and the sex was dirty..
Capt NG

Postby Nillus » Thu May 29, 2014 8:47 am

Stu,
Do the VA 73's carry the same kit?
Nillus

Postby davecana » Thu May 29, 2014 10:59 am

Just curious, but how much does the liferaft that is used weigh? And how many are carried on board?
davecana

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Thu May 29, 2014 12:25 pm

hrtpaul wrote:Having flown out of Townsville on the weekend, I'd like to think that the life rafts were fitted to my 737. We departed to the north and then did a R/H turn over the water. Now if it had all turned to shit I would rather be sitting in a life raft than treading water in waters renowned for it's number of Tiger Sharks, Crocodiles and other animals that would like to turn me into seaweed fertilizer. Saving $1 million isn't gonna help QANTAS. But it'll help me get back to my family and that's all I care about.

The only time you'd need a life raft in that case is if any accident were survivable. In that case, ATC and emergency services would already have been notified that the aircraft was going for a swim, so rescue would probably be fairly quick. If it happened without much notice, well, you won't need to worry about any sharks.
_BlackHawk_

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Thu May 29, 2014 1:05 pm

All this talk of missing lift rafts just reminds me of this clip from Catch 22. Perhaps Alan has a deal going for these lift rafts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9wcK6qvCqI
Adam the Akrodude

Previous

Return to Crew Lounge