HMAS Voyager (II) Disaster 58 years ago

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

HMAS Voyager (II) Disaster 58 years ago

Postby hrtpaul » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:41 am

At 20:56 tonight, 58 years ago, Australia’s largest naval disaster happened off the coast of Jervis Bay, NSW. The aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne struck the destroyer HMAS Voyager (II) just behind the bridge cutting the Voyager in 2. The bow sank quickly with the stern sinking later that night. Of the 314 sailors onboard, 82 perished. My Uncle in law Des was serving onboard the Voyager that night and luckily survived the ordeal. This is a model I finished yesterday and built for him of the HMAS Voyager (II). It's the 1/600 Ozmods resin kit and my first ship build. It's not my best work and although it's probably not the best kit to build your first ship, it's the only gig in town and I gave it a crack. I am stoked I got it finished for the anniversary today. I’ll be putting it on the base in a small display case with a small plaque. I'll present it to Uncle Des as soon as is possible. This is my tribute to Des, the rest of the survivors and most of all, the sailors that gave their lives on that fateful night.

Always remembered.

Never forgotten.

Lest. We. Forget.

Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Re: HMAS Voyager (II) Disaster 58 years ago

Postby Ansett A330 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:07 pm

Lovely Tribute Paul.

Very very good model. Shows what a great modeller you are if this is your first ship. Really nice sea base too. Amazingly realistic.

The disaster by the way was the largest peace time RAN loss. Sadly the largest RAN loss was HMAS Sydney (II).
Ansett A330

Postby RayS » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:42 pm

NIce job Paul and a great tribute
Ray

RayS

Postby hrtpaul » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:04 pm

Finally got this finished with the addition of a plaque and a couple of badges. I'm entering it in expo next week and then I have to work out how the hell I get it from Melbourne to Newcastle in 1 piece :? :? :?

Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:49 pm

Looks sensational mate!
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby Ansett A330 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:59 pm

hrtpaul wrote:I'm entering it in expo next week and then I have to work out how the hell I get it from Melbourne to Newcastle in 1 piece :? :? :?

Very nice work.

Maybe a Visitor or Vendor from Newcastle attending Model Expo might be able to safely transport it back there?
Ansett A330

Postby RayS » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:25 pm

Lovely job Paul
Ray

RayS

Return to Crew Lounge