RAAF Museum only to be open two days a week...

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

RAAF Museum only to be open two days a week...

Postby BradG » Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:57 pm

The museum will reopening at the end of April, it will only be open Thursday and Sunday, by bookings only in groups of 20. I also hear the newly formed 100 Squadron that was set up to run the museum has had it's cash cut off.

Almost like the military don't actually want you to visit the museum anymore.
BradG

Re: RAAF Museum only to be open two days a week...

Postby tor lives » Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:32 am

WTF !!!!! :o
tor lives

Postby BradG » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:53 pm

tor lives wrote:WTF !!!!! :o

They are classifying Point Cook as an active base now, so museum visitors are being restricted in line with what they do at Amberley I think. There was plans to bring the museum towards the front gate, on the left hand side there is all that empty land that was going to be a big new facility with car park so visitors weren't venturing far inside the base, but all that got canned. With the group concept, you apparently sign up online and then the museum allocates you to a group on a certain date then they tell you when to turn up....yeh I don't see this working well at all. Not to mention there are no interactive displays anymore, I think attendance is going to tank.
BradG

Postby davecana » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:56 pm

Maybe cost cutting to pay for some subs???
davecana

Postby BradG » Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:29 pm

Due to safety concerns the new strike hanger has been closed to visitors until further notice.
BradG

Postby RayS » Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:42 pm

BradG wrote:Due to safety concerns the new strike hanger has been closed to visitors until further notice.

Interesting, the Strike Hangar was closed when I visited on my way to Expo and they were expecting it to open soon.

Here is a link to the pictures I took while there.
Ray

RayS

Postby BradG » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:17 pm

RayS wrote:
BradG wrote:Due to safety concerns the new strike hanger has been closed to visitors until further notice.

Interesting, the Strike Hangar was closed when I visited on my way to Expo and they were expecting it to open soon.

Here is a link to the pictures I took while there.

Nice shots. I believe the strike hanger was deemed unsafe because the interactive light show ends with the hanger being pitch black and there are no illuminated emergency exit signs. I guess you could just turn the lights on, but this is the military we are dealing with, I'm sure they are going with the most expensive and complex solution to the problem.
BradG

Return to Crew Lounge