Boeing 777 approach into Sydney

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Re: Boeing 777 approach into Sydney

Postby Nillus » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:59 pm

Yeh Blackhawk...me too...IL2/Forgotten Battles/1946/Pacific Fighters/BoS/Cliffs of Dover//Over Flanders Fields/Rise of Flight/DCS...been involved since day 1 of these sims...and I regularly meet with one of the development team lads that does their flight modelling, the aerodynamic modelling for which I have gained data at RAF Hendon.

Just that...sims.
They are fun, but nowhere near the real thing.

Happy to meet you over the Russian tundra in my favourite Bf109.

Now which 109 would that be....at which altitude would I choose to fight? Would I drag the fight up or down? At what speed would I engage and hold the fight? What is the 109 (E/F/G/K's) corner speed? Can you out-climb me?..Would I go vertical or use a turn fight? What what would my load out be? Fuel load? Centre of gravity?
All these are modelled in IL2 and it's derivatives.
Did you know that?
Of course you did.
Coz it's a piece of cake.
Last edited by Nillus on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nillus

Postby Capt NG » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:14 pm

:lol: ...
It's hard for me to get used to these changing times... I remember when the air was clean and the sex was dirty..
Capt NG

Postby Tony P » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:52 pm

543731main_bfreitas_sim_350.jpg
543731main_bfreitas_sim_350.jpg (32.4 KiB) Viewed 3995 times

You can be my wingman anytime.
You don’t concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done- Chuck Yeager.
Tony P

Postby Capt NG » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:57 pm

Tony I look at that... And I suddenly have the realisation that is a picture of Rays critics over the years... A few hours on a cessna 150 and several thousands of hours behind a computer and hours of cognitive vomit with like minded sycophants and voila... You have an instant expert.. :lol: :lol:
It's hard for me to get used to these changing times... I remember when the air was clean and the sex was dirty..
Capt NG

Postby Knotty » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:04 pm

Sums it up Stu , :lol: :lol: :lol:
Knotty

Postby Nillus » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:20 pm

Nice rig, TOAM.
Saitek X-52?

No TrackIR ?
Nillus

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:46 pm

_BlackHawk_ wrote:Don't worry, I've played enough IL-2 Shturmovik to know what I'm doing.

Joking right???
Adam the Akrodude

Postby tor lives » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:49 pm

Adam the Akrodude wrote:
_BlackHawk_ wrote:Don't worry, I've played enough IL-2 Shturmovik to know what I'm doing.

Joking right???

God.....I hope so.
Ray
tor lives

Postby tor lives » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:54 pm

Here are some guys that actually do have a clue:
Both of them legendary aeroplane drivers and A/CAMers :D

Ray

PS: Tony you will be next mate, so hang in there.....I haven't forgotten, (I just got to scam some more Sim time :D , you would not believe the unspeakable acts I have to undertake to get Sim time these days :D ).
tor lives

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:45 pm

Having had the incredible opportunity to have a go of two real multimillion dollar airliner sim's (forever in your debt Ray!), all I can say is "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!". I sweated a bucket load on the 737-8 sim and it took me a good 3 hours to come down from that buzz and a week to wipe the smile off my face! It was a fierce and dark night over Sydney friends, lightning flashing and rain streaming across the windscreen. Turbulence was set to "Moderate". I can only imagine that the "High" setting would feel like being in a major earthquake! I haven't felt so behind a aeroplane since attempting my first landing in a Pitts (which almost ended badly!). My brain was in major overload and I could hardy fly within +/- 500 feet. :roll: Had it been an actual flight, I may not have killed anyone, but the passenger cabin would have been flooded with puke! I can now understand how and why these sim's can be used as instruments of torture for those who do reach the lofty heights (literally) of flyin' and in command of those RPT "big babies" - with the immense responsibility that goes with it. It's enough for me to take 1 passenger - I can't imagine 100 to 500+ - nothing can simulate that! I at least understand and know now, what I don't know, ya know? It was a truly humbling experience, one I'll never forget! BTW, I've got a sneaking suspicion that Damo did a better job than I that night!

As far as PC sim's go for aerobatics, from my experience they can be fun, but replicating the real thing - hmm, that's a big stretch. Thing is though, it cuts into serious A/CAM time now anyway! :lol:
PC sim's don't remotely come close to simulating aerobatics IMHO. One sim years ago came close (in a visual and pushing the pole and pedals sense) in replicating spins/snap rolls for instance and that is Flight Unlimited (DOS based). MS FS (any version I've looked at so far is completely useless. PC sim's can in fact have a adverse effect if used a lot, as they will mess with your timing and muscle memory. It would be pretty well impossible on a home PC to replicate the stick forces at all the speeds/G-loads, throw in P-factor and Gyroscopic effects, etc, etc. Nothing can replicate the G-forces, which is why most military sim's are static (saves a lot of money too). Nothing can simulate the fatigue one feels after a few minutes of high positive and negative G.

There is no substitute for actual flight training and actual experience - nil, nada, none!
Adam the Akrodude

PreviousNext

Return to Crew Lounge