Gio Decals 1/144 Qantas 787-9 "Yam Dreaming"

A forum for A/CAMers to review for the membership....
model kits, decals, conversions, and accessories.

Gio Decals 1/144 Qantas 787-9 "Yam Dreaming"

Postby scotty100368 » Fri May 11, 2018 7:17 pm

Hi folks!

One of my CBR mob colleagues managed to score this decal and allowed me to give it a critical gander...

Attempting this subject is a bold undertaking to say the least, so how exactly is it?

Well, after careful perusal, I can say it's a fair effort given the complexity, but it does have it's faults.

1. The first thing that struck me is that the white dots that proliferate the design are not opaque enough - more pale pink and orange than solid white. This is probably due to whatever printing method was used, but it needed another pass of the white layer.

2. The Qantas titles are far too light in shade. They should be a darker graphite grey (but not black). There's a font error with the "Spirit of Australia" titles too.

3. The kangaroo's legs extend below the red fin piece but are missing the shading effect like on the tail. The neck shading is hardly there either.

4. There are 2 large registrations for the wings when only one is necessary. (Qantas aircraft haven't used topside registrations for some time as transponder technology deemed them unnecessary). Since this decal was released only about 2 weeks after the actual aircraft debuted, this is probably due to the manufacturer working from a limited number of photos and assuming a generic layout for all airlines. Also, the instructions portray the wings, stabilisers and engine pylons in grey when in fact they should be white!

5. The artist & agency signature is easily missed on the decal sheet. I had to crush the contrast on my scan so you can see it above decal #9.

6. Nearly all the numbering on the instructions bears no resemblance to the numbering on the decal sheet! The wing regos and artist signature had no number at all.

This to me is a clear indication that this product was rushed to market to trump other decal makers for reaping some quick dollars. Ultimately the product quality (and producer's reputation) suffers because of not taking a little time to proof-read and double-check their work. I have taken the liberty to correct said instructions...

After those points, it remains to be seen if the constituent pieces will fit together as intended, they may prove a challenge to match up. I'll have to make a one-off copy and see if the shapes will work or not. Those still game to give this decal a crack, I wish you luck!

BTW, I was talking with Peter Mahoney recently, and Hawkeye may attempt our own release if we can figure out our own approach to this subject. I currently have the standard scheme 787 in the works.

Cheers!
Last edited by scotty100368 on Sun May 13, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Scott
CBR Ramp
scotty100368

Re: Gio Decals 1/144 Qantas 787-9 "Yam Dreaming"

Postby Graeme H » Sat May 12, 2018 7:40 am

Glad to see a review of this, although I won't ever be getting one, it's nice to have a balanced view.

Good to see that someone successfully got one of these, there is always a huge risk of him not delivering.
I was most interested in your comment that the producer's reputation suffers because he rushed it, I think that is the least of his concerns reputation wise, although seems to be getting a little better recently in delivering, but sometimes very slow and missing or incorrect decals, the biggest problem is the non opaque white, otherwise this will look spectacular on a model table and very few people anywhere would know of the other failings, but that is a biggie.

I know he once showed artwork on one of his websites for VH-VOI in the short lived black and green Gillette M3 scheme, but never answered any of my emails about it, and have not yet found anyone who managed to get it.
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby scotty100368 » Sat May 12, 2018 5:46 pm

Graeme H wrote:I was most interested in your comment that the producer's reputation suffers because he rushed it, I think that is the least of his concerns reputation wise...

True, but I was staying on-topic. i.e. reviewing the product and not the producer, although it is well known in the civil modelling sphere that you are taking your chances ordering from him directly.

Some folks may not know that there is an eBay seller (in Brasil) by the handle of "kosciuv" who also lists Gio's decals.
He doesn't carry the entire range (and subject decals may be incomplete), but he does have a good reputation, so worth checking out all-the-same.
Scott
CBR Ramp
scotty100368

Postby tor lives » Sun May 13, 2018 3:33 pm

Thanks for review Scotty.....I have a funny feeling Qantas Licensing and Balarinji will be less than impressed.
TOR
tor lives

Postby F-27pax » Mon May 14, 2018 9:36 am

I hadn't thought of that reason Ray, thought I am more concerned with Balarinji than QF Licensing. Another good reason not to get these decals. Besides, how many 787 models does a modeller need?
Leigh
(PS. I keep on acquiring A.320 kits with the intention of making all the liveries they have flown in with VH- and ZK- registrations. I knew you'd be excited.)
F-27pax

Postby Ansett A330 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:45 pm

F-27pax wrote:(PS. I keep on acquiring A.320 kits with the intention of making all the liveries they have flown in with VH- and ZK- registrations. I knew you'd be excited.)

And a couple of years later here is the Thread :

http://www.airliner-civil-aircraft-mode ... f=2&t=2838
Ansett A330

Return to Member Reviews