"Fun rides" by a bug smasher wannabe!

The membership central "photo album". Show us what ya got folks!!!

"Fun rides" by a bug smasher wannabe!

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:03 pm

Here's some of my fun rides in the past.

Bellanca Decathalon 8KCAB. Did my tailwheel and C/S endorsement in a Super Decathalon (VH-TOP) - quite a jump from the little Cessna-152 Akrobat I had been flying. Just truly delightful aeroplanes. I managed not to tear the wings off these during my early flying years! Once went on a flying air rally with a mate in the back of VH-CUM. We called ourselves "Team Testosterone".

Alpha 160 (NZ licence built Robin 2160) - during Formation endorsement with Damo last year. Great fun!

Zlin-242L - very interesting aeroplane - great aerobatic trainer with some "quirky" features! It has a very sensitive elevator. Fantastic "Eastern European" style stick which looks like a tractor part (Zlin's owner was a tractor manufacturer!).

Pitts Special S-2A - a long time dream come true getting this endorsement. No aeroplane has made me feel more like the Red Baron! I reckon I must have (in theory) shot down many Pipers and Cessnas that dared enter the aerobatic box east of Cranbourne over the years!

Stephens Akro Laser 200. A aeroplane were you are off the ground in 6 seconds from pushing the go lever forward! Way more performance than the Pitts S-2A, yet more gentlemanly. To date, the most fun and perfect aeroplane I've flown - it becomes a extension of yourself.

Sukhoi Su-29. This bird was once owned by the late Nick Costan (died in that Blunty crash near Bathurst some years ago now). This qualifies as without doubt the most exciting and sensitive aeroplane I've had a go of (with Nick behind me). Roll rate of 360 deg/second and a incredible sensitive stick. Think about moving the aeroplane and it happens instantly. It's like trying to keep a marble staying in the centre of a sheet of glass.

NA T-28D-5 Trojan. Had a ride in this big beast of an aeroplane - like driving a semi-trailer after the Decathalon's I was flying at the time. Very heavy and solid aeroplane. It qualifies as the fastest piston aeroplane I've been in at 250 knots. Got to fire up the big R-1820 engine which was fun (cough cough!). When it first arrived to Australia, on inspecting the wing there were AK-47 rounds still inside rattling around! A few months after my ride, this aeroplane crashed in Tasmania tragically.

A330/737NG Sim's - extremely privileged via the man once known as TOR to have had the opportunity to see what it's like to fly a airliner. Words will fail me here describing what it was like, but it was a eye-opening and humbling experience! Suffice to say, every time I walk onto a airliner as walk-on freight, I now drop to the floor and chant "I'm not worthy!". I will never forget that night over Sydney in that thunderstorm with "moderate" turbulence" selected! I had sweat pouring off me and could hardly fly within +/- 500 feet! After that experience, I now more than ever appreciate the highly trained, talented and skilled aircrew up the front end! That smile below took a week to disappear. Oh yeah, as a example of how quickly on can go from being a Hero to zero, I showed this photo to my kids and one said "Dad, you look like a plump chipmunk" - Oh crap!

Sadly no actual jet time - must try to do something about this. There's a very cute little JP-5 down at Essendon I may have to try and save up for a ride!
Adam the Akrodude

Re: "Fun rides" by a bug smasher wannabe!

Postby Nillus » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:51 pm

Hats off to you Adam.
I loved my time in lighties (Moorabbin 1977-1985), and still look for any opportunity to embarrass myself in one.
Regards, Salty.
Nillus

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:18 pm

Ah, you're just being nice Salty. What you do just so blows me away - even more so since having a small insight into your world via Ray (where's that Emoticon with the hands outstretched waving up and down - anybody?). Hey, it's all relative (that's about all I remember from Year 12 Physics!).

Happy landing those big babies!

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:29 pm

Come on down to YMMB again, Salty - I'll give you the chance to embarrass yourself in a Jab, or in my new(ish) toy, the Foxbat. And you too, Adam...you'll lurve the 'bat!
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:00 pm

Be there soon Damo.
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:00 pm

Here ya go, gents...may I present the Foxbat. Don't listen to YMMB tower...it's French blue, not Royal blue :D
Foxbat (640x480).jpg
Foxbat (640x480).jpg (212.3 KiB) Viewed 5346 times
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:08 pm

Naaaawwwww how cute :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:44 pm

That Foxbat is a cutie alright! It's at the extreme opposite of the spectrum when compared to it's other namesake
- ya know the one that was once clocked at Mach 3.2 over Israel, but burnt out the engines in the process.
Adam the Akrodude

Return to Member Photos