Back to basics. Real seat of the pants flying. The Breezy.

The membership central "photo album". Show us what ya got folks!!!

Back to basics. Real seat of the pants flying. The Breezy.

Postby RHB785 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:55 am

Getting back to basics as they say. This minimalist three seat light aircraft lives at Luskintyre and flew the couple of minutes over to Maitland for the Hunter Airshow. It even had its own spot in the flying display each day. On the Saturday it was a cold day and I was speaking to the young engineer who opened up the cowl panels on the Stearman for me about his ride over from Luskintyre in the back seat. He reckoned that although he was rugged up to the nines he was still freezing.
Image. It's a Piper Super Cadet wing and tail surfaces on a simple welded steel frame with a four cylinder engine and minimal instrumentation, although it does have a comms radio. Daytime VFR only. I guess you cold call this a motorcycle of the skies. They must have the nose tied down because I can assure you this one is a definite tail sitter.

Regards,
RHB.
RHB785

Re: Back to basics. Real seat of the pants flying. The Breez

Postby tor lives » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:22 am

Geez......it looks like scaffolding with wings :shock:
Even though I fully appreciate and understand the theory of flight, (with the same physics applying to this machine as say a 747), I just don't know if I would be prepared to strap on something like this and go flying :?
TOR
tor lives

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:44 am

I'd give it a go - wearing a helmet and chute though. Looks really cool!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Nicolas_Fantich » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:10 pm

Just goes to show you don't need much to go flying. I'm amazed that it's got a 'VH' rego.
Nicolas

On the Bench
1/144 Academy Douglas DC-6B - Adria Airways YU-AFF
1/48 Revell North American P-51D Mustang 'Miss America'
1/72 Airfix North American P-51D (Cavalier) Mustang N51RH
1/72 Airfix North American P-51D Mustang N64CL 'Miss Van Nuys'
Nicolas_Fantich

Postby RHB785 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:15 pm

HI Nicholas. I think it's got a VH- rego because it's actually heavier than the 600kg limit for LSAs and it can carry pilot and two passengers. The back seat is a bench, just wide enough for two to sit on. If you're no bigger than an average person.

Regards,
RHB.
RHB785

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:18 pm

RHB785 wrote:HI Nicholas. I think it's got a VH- rego because it's actually heavier than the 600kg limit for LSAs and it can carry pilot and two passengers. The back seat is a bench, just wide enough for two to sit on. If you're no bigger than an average person.

Regards,
RHB.

Interesting point about the 600kg limit - it only applies if the aircraft is RA-Aus registered. The Jabiru 4-seaters can be registered either VH or RA-Aus, the difference being that under RA-Aus you can only ever have 1 passenger, regardless of the number of seats. Under a VH registration, the same aircraft might well have a MTOW greater than 600 kg.
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby RHB785 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:03 pm

Thanks for that damo. I've seen the breezy with 3 on board at Luskintyre so that's why it's regod under VH-.

Regards,
RHB.
RHB785

Return to Member Photos