Winjeel photos

The membership central "photo album". Show us what ya got folks!!!

Winjeel photos

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:21 pm

Again, from Tyabb....the gent who looks after our maintenance gets some really interesting aircraft through his hangar..
http://s492.photobucket.com/user/ol-sti ... ry/Winjeel
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Re: Winjeel photos

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:29 am

Great reference photos there dude! There sure are some gems down at Tyabb aren't there.

Got a cool Winjeel story from a mate's father. At one time said gentleman was instructing at 1 FTS PCK back in the 60's on Winjeels. One moonlit night he took a Winjeel for a flight over the bay. Being such a beautiful night, he couldn't help himself and pulled the Winjeel into a loop. He then had this strange feeling of someone was next to him. He looked over to one wingtip and sure enough, there was another Winjeel right there! Not freaking out, he completed the loop and headed back to PCK. Shutting down on the ground, he saw his boss jump out of the other Winjeel - neither of them mentioned this night formation loop ever again!

Now, we just need someone to make a decent 1/48 Winjeel. A 1/48 CT-4A would be great too!
Adam the Akrodude

Re: Winjeel photos

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:54 am

Maybe we should try that sometime, Adam....or not ;)

My Winjeel story:
Many years ago, I had the opportunity to fly a Winjeel in the RVAC Dawn Patrol. I'd organised a couple of mates to come for the ride as well, so there were four of us - my instructor, me, and my two mates.
The flight took us around Port Phillip Bay, and as we were flying past Mornington at 500', I noticed something breaking the water surface that looked a bit like a whale. My instructor took the controls and whipped the aircraft around in a tight turn, probably around 1.5g, so we could have another look. Whatever it was had gone, so we resumed our course back to YMMB. En route, I felt a tap on my shoulder, so looking around into the jump seats, I was greeted by the sight of one of my mates losing his breakfast into his cap.
Once we landed, I went up to my rather embarrassed mate and asked him how he was doing. He was very apologetic, and explained the reason for his illness....."I've never been in a high performance aircraft before."
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Return to Member Photos