1/48 Hasegawa TOPGUN F-16A Aggressor

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

1/48 Hasegawa TOPGUN F-16A Aggressor

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:30 pm

So you guys should know by now that I have a thing for aggressors by now. I listen to a brilliant podcast (https://www.fighterpilotpodcast.com/) run by ex US Navy F/A-18 pilot Vincent Aiello, callsign “Jell-O”. It turns out he flew the USN F-16A aggressors at NAS Fallon between May 2013 and March 2015 which is the home to, among other things, TOPGUN. So I decided to build one of the jets he flew. I wanna have this done by the 50th anniversary of TOPGUN on 3 March 2019. He sent me all the numbers of the F-16's he flew so at least I had somewhere to start. As it turns out the decals are gonna be the problem. I've got a set coming from Barbados and I won a rare set on eBay last night so hopefully I can mix and match. I can't decide on a colour scheme until they arrive. So I started the construction and the cockpit was first. It's all OOB except Jell-O's oxygen hose which I made by curling 1 wire around another one. I also tilted his head slightly. Unfortunately Jell-O wore a yellow visor and not the usual black one so I had to give him eyes as well as the yellow visor. My figure painting sux so his eyes look a bit weird but they're the best I could do. I painted his tshirt under his slying suit and even added an American flag patch on his left shoulder. I'm pretty happy how the cockpit has come up. As this will be displayed flying, I closed the U/C doors but not before casting copies for another F-16 that I've had on the shelf of doom for years and lost the U/C for it. I haven't figured out how I'm gonna mount it yet. So onto the pics.

Before his pupils are added

Completed cockpit. Not a fan of his eyes
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Re: 1/48 Hasegawa TOPGUN F-16A Aggressor

Postby hrtpaul » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:24 pm

Holy sh*t it's been that long since my first post :o :o :o :o This has progressed at a snail's pace and consequently I've missed the 50th anniversary of TOPGUN which was March 2019 :? Anyway as I said it's been slow progress but since my last post I've given Jello eyebrows which I forgot, closed the fuselage up and fitted the wings. It's currently sitting in primer awaiting a few corrections and then some colour. I want to get this done as I have a few more hangar queens that need finishing before I can start something new. Hopefully the next pic will be with some colour applied.
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby RayS » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:21 pm

Well get on with it man! I had forgotten about the one to tell the truth!
Ray

RayS

Postby hrtpaul » Thu May 21, 2020 2:48 pm

After a few repairs etc I got some primer on this the other day. I have just realised I forgot to prime the stabs so I guess I'd better do them at some stage. Hope I'll get at least the first tan colour on this next week.

hrtpaul

Postby RayS » Thu May 21, 2020 8:23 pm

Meh, primer its overrated :)

I only prime seams.

Starting to look like an F-16 Paul
Ray

RayS

Postby hrtpaul » Fri May 22, 2020 12:42 pm

I like to primer that way its an overall uniform colour before I start painting. Besides I can't just spray seams with a rattle can :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hrtpaul

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:27 pm

Colour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hrtpaul

Return to The Air Base