Models for September 2022

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

Models for September 2022

Postby F-27pax » Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:57 am

It’s been a slow period in my model building, what with the mundane realities of life and the time spent working to get The Little Aviation Museum up to speed. It also seems to be a small scale season with most of my effort going into 1/144 aircraft.

NEWLY COMPLETED
Welsh Models 1/144 Breguet Atlantic 1
This is the second of a packet of kits I got from Welsh Models a couple of months ago, with another four or so to go. These are not super detailed kits with the minimum number of parts to create a good model, but not an exceptional one. That is up to you, if you like that kind of thing. I made a few little additions and corrections, but nothing severe. I like the stout look of the Atlantic and am happy to be able to include this in my 1/144 collection.

Airfix 1/144 deHavilland Comet 3B
It was ‘Airfix August’ according to the Interesting Modelling Company so I joined in. Actually I found I had three old Airfix Comets in my collection and started work on all of them, but only this one was completed by the end of the month. The only significant modification to turn the Airfix Comet 4B into this 3B was to take a small chunk out of the forward fuselage. The decals came from a Welsh Models decal set. I’ve written this one up as https://thelittleaviationmuseum.com.au/dehavilland-comet-3b-in-1-144-by-airfix/over at The Little Aviation Museum.

OLDIES AND GOLDIES (sometimes)
Ace 1/72 Yak-38
I made this one in 2005 and it still looks very nice. It went together fairly easily straight out of the box. There’s a Workbench Note on this one if you are interested. https://thelittleaviationmuseum.com.au/yakovlev-yak-38-in-1-72-by-ace/

KP 1/72 MiG-15
This one was made in 2008 and was, as I recall, something of an experimental in polished metalic finishes. What it showed me was that I needed to improve my technique, which I still have to do.

Hobby Boss 1/72 Turkish Morane Saulnier 406
Around 2013 I was making sets of the French fighters at the beginning of World War II. This included aircraft that ended up in the air forces of other nations, of which Turkey was one. This is not a bad kit, but the more recent RS Models kits are far better.

Mach 2 Sud Ouest Trident II
Lots of people are very critical of Mach 2 kits but you have to admit that they make kits of some aircraft that nobody has made, or is ever likely to. So if you want a model of this 1950s French experimental aircraft there is only one option, so I did the best I could with what was in the box.

IN THE WORKS
As you can see, it’s all 1/144 around here. The work has been focused on getting the Airfix Comets completed and the other two of them I’ve been working on are just about ready for the paint shop. The bigger A.330 has already been to the paint shop and only needs the fuselage to be painted before it’s completed. New to the works is the little Welsh Models 1/144 Boeing 247, a kit I’ve been waiting for for eons. I’m also pottering along on a MPM Wirraway and contemplating an Xtrakit Meteor F.8 for the Model Geeks ‘MiG killer’ group build.

F-27pax

Re: Models for September 2022

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:02 pm

Nice lot of models there man :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby RayS » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:55 am

Gree with Paul, nice work Leigh.

I'm assuming the A330 will be QF? what about the other comets, what liveries do you have planned?
Ray

RayS

Postby F-27pax » Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:40 am

You're right, the A330 will be QF. the Comet 4B will be BEA and the Comet 4Cwill be the Qantas wet leased BOAC livery courtesy of Hawkeye. The Boeing 247 will be United, naturally. Any suggestions about what Welsh Models means when it says the airframe should be 'blue grey'?
F-27pax

Postby RayS » Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:02 pm

F-27pax wrote:You're right, the A330 will be QF. the Comet 4B will be BEA and the Comet 4C will be the Qantas wet-leased BOAC livery courtesy of Hawkeye. The Boeing 247 will be United, naturally. Any suggestions about what Welsh Models means when it says the airframe should be 'blue grey'?

Thanks Leigh,

Here is a picture of the one in the Smithsonian and a scheme similar to the one you are doing perhaps?

Link
Ray

RayS

Postby F-27pax » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:18 am

Thanks. That's just what the doctor ordered.
F-27pax

Postby scotty100368 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:10 pm

F-27pax wrote:...the Comet 4C will be the Qantas wet leased BOAC livery courtesy of Hawkeye...'?

The 6 leased Comets were all 4s, not 4Cs. Forward fuselage will need shortening. (if you haven't done it already!)

http://www.aussieairliners.org/dh%20comet/austcometregister.htm

:D
Scott Garard
former QF ramper (Thanks alot AJ!)
now Aust Post van driver
scotty100368

Postby F-27pax » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:05 pm

Thanks Scott, you really know how to spoil a modellers day. If I'd read your comment a day later it would have been too late, but I can still fix the problem. I didn't realize that the QF leased Comets were 4s rather than 4cs. This throws me a bit of chaos. The Hawkeye decals are about 10mm shorter than the Airfix kit but the measurements I followed to make the Comet 3 say 15mm and that is how much shorter that model is that model is. To make life simple I'll cut the 10mm out of the model so the Hawkeye decals fit accurately. Testing the decals alongside a photo of the aircraft scaled to the same length it seems that the windows are about a window width further forward than they should be, but if I can live with a model 5mm too long I can live with that too. I just noticed that the Hawkeye instruction sheet says that they are Qantas Comet 4Bs. Another little inaccuracy I guess. Such is a modellers happy life!
F-27pax

Postby tor lives » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:38 pm

G'day Leigh,
Great line-up as usual.
I love the Qantas hybrids.
I am currently working on this one.....
Not many people realize that QF operated the Britannia (sort of).
TOR
tor lives

Postby F-27pax » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:05 am

Gosh TOR, this means another aircraft I have to add to my QF collection. More details please, and what are you doing about the additional QF markings?
F-27pax

Next

Return to Model Talk